top of page
Industrial Heritage is, according to the International Committee for the Conservation of Industrial Heritage, the set of remnants of industrial culture that possess historical, technological, social, architectural or scientific value.
In the City Council of Dumbría, the presence of hydroelectric power stations located along the Xallas-Ézaro river stands out; the river that crosses the City council of Dumbría until reaching the mouth in the Atlantic, in that point of special beauty: the Waterfall of the Ézaro.
You will also be able to discover other industrial resources in dumbriesas lands…
Hydraulic power has been used since ancient times to grind flour and to perform other tasks. In Dumbría City Council, hydroelectricity has a strong presence.
There are four existing reservoirs in the Xallas-Ézaro river, whose main function is to control the flow of the river for the operation of hydroelectric power stations and as a water supply for other municipalities in the area.
The dam that is in the first section of the river is the A Fervenza Reservoir, one of the most important in the province of A Coruña. It covers land in the municipalities of Dumbría, Mazaricos, Vimianzo and Zas. It was built in 1967.
The second dam from the beginning of the river is the Ponte Olveira Reservoir, which is located about 600 meters south of the place of Olveiroa and was built in 1966.
The third dam in the course of the river is the Castrelo Reservoir, which is located about 600 meters south of the place of Brazal, in Buxantes. The waters of this reservoir are conducted by means of a channel of 6.8km and 11 tunnels until the power station of the Pindo (in the Ézaro). Work on this dam was completed in 1954 and its construction was very tragic for the area, killing many workers, both men and women, due to silicosis disease. A tragedy that marked the people of the region.
The most recent and closest to the mouth of the river is the Santa Uxía Reservoir, which is located in the place of Santa Uxía and was completed in 1989. This dam serves as a communication road between the municipalities of Dumbría and Mazaricos.
Along the course of the river Xallas-Ézaro there are several hydroelectric power stations, but it is worth noting two of them for their architecture and antiquity.
The Pindo Hydroelectric Power Station is located next to the Ézaro Waterfall. It was built in 1903 and once housed the Electricity Interpretation Center which is now closed.
The Castrelo Hydroelectric Power Station is also located next to the Ézaro Waterfall and was built during the first half of the 20th century. It bears the same name as one of the reservoirs, because it was supplied with water from that reservoir through the canal.
bottom of page